Friday 1 March 2013

Get a letter published in The Times?

I've had lots of letters published in a variety of newspapers and magazines in the past on a wide range of subjects from rants about the Grand National and Environmental issues to whinges about political parties and politicians of all persuasions.

I've had letters published in The Independent, The Guardian, The Sun (who send a cheque each time a letter is published), The Daily Mail, etc. I even had some published in The Scotsman (despite never having lived north of Hadrian's Wall) and the now defunct Sunday Correspondent! Added to this are letters in various magazines including such erstwhile titles as The British Bandsman and Classical Music but, as far as I recall, never one in The Times - maybe that should be one of my 50 things to do before my 50th birthday?

I do, however, wonder if getting a letter published in The Times is still the ultimate for those who like to write to the editor of a newspaper - since the whole Murdoch saga with News International and the closure of the News of the World, does The Times still hold the elevated position for letter writers?

Maybe I should be trying to get a letter published in something more international? The New Yorker (always one of my favourite reads) or The New York Times? Or maybe Pravda?

No, unless persuaded otherwise I think The Times still has to be the place... all I need is a subject to get me riled!


No comments:

Post a Comment